This is the perfect comfort food for those cold days. This simple recipe will solve your cravings for a yummy dessert! With just few ingredients and even less steps you can make this supreme Apple Crumble…
All you need:
- 3 Apples – preferably Bramley apple, its sourness will make the crumble tastes even better!
- 110g cold unsalted butter
- 180g plain flour
- 110g brown sugar (plus 3 tbsp for the filling)
- 3 tbsp oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
A baking tray (I used a round tray with 20cm diameter) and baking paper.
Preparation time: 15min + 40min in the oven
Serves 2 very hungry people!! Or 3-4 normal ones. 😉
Let’s do it:
- Before you start, preheat the oven to 180-190oC. And set the baking paper inside the tray.
- Peel and slice your apples into small cubes.
TIP #1. No need to measure the apple, just try to cut the cubes at the same size so they cook equally!
Then add the 3tbsp of brown sugar to the apples – you can also add a pinch of cinnamon if you like it – and put it all into the baking tray.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes. Mix the flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon. Add the butter cubes into the mix. Now let’s get dirty!! Use your fingers to rub the butter into the mixture. This might take a while, so put some music on and enjoy the moment!
TIP #2. Don’t do it next to the oven, or the butter might start to melt. If you are in a warm place or you notice your butter is getting too soft, you might want to put your mix into the fridge for a little while. Then, you can continue the rubbing in normally!
- After you have beautiful crumbles, you can add it to your baking tray on top of those beautiful apples.
TIP #3. I add it little by little, so I have nice separated crumbles. Also, it helps me to notice any too big crumble that I can rub in before I add to the tray.
- Now, practice your patience! Put your crumble into the oven at 180-190 oC for 35-40min. Check if the apple is cooked and soft with a fork before you take the tray out!
TIP #4. I normally leave it for 35min, and for the last 5min I turn the grill on so I have an even nicer and crunchier crumble!!
- Serve it with vanilla custard, or maybe some ice cream!
It’s perfectly crunchy on the top and juicy and warm in the bottom! I love it with vanilla custard and some tea!!!
Hmmm… Enjoy it 😉
Ps. The oats and cinnamon are optional. But I love the hint of cinnamon in the crumble, and I think the oats add a nice texture!